20 years ago, a vampire slayer named Buffy arrived in Sunnydale and onto our television screens, marking the start of an incredible show. The fact that we’re still talking about it two decades later just proves how fantastic its quality is. There were a lot of things that made Buffy a great show; talented cast, exciting plotlines, epic fight scenes, tackling serious issues, etc. But one of the most important things was the writing. It managed to be clever, funny and heart-breaking, all at the same time. And the writers proved themselves to be diverse; firing off great one-liners, crafting big, inspirational speeches/monologues, creating a musical, and even making an episode with virtually no dialogue (Season 4’s Hush). We’ve already paid tribute to our favourite speeches which you can read here. Now, we want to showcase the shorter bits of dialogue that made Buffy such an unforgettable, brilliant, show that we’re still quoting 20 years on.
Side note: We realise that there is no Spike in this list. This is because he had far too many amazing quotes to choose from. Thus, we gave him his own list, which you can read here.
- I used to be a highly respected Watcher, and now I’m a wounded dwarf with the mystical strength of a doily.
Giles (Season 7 Episode 22: Chosen)
- I may be dead, but I’m still pretty. Which is more than I can say for you.
Buffy (Season 1 Episode 12: Prophecy Girl)
- Cavalry’s here. Cavalry’s a frightened guy with a rock, but it’s here.
Xander (Season 2 Episode 22: Becoming Part 2)
- We destroyed the mall? I fought on the wrong side.
Dawn (Season 7 Episode 22: Chosen)
- When you look back at this in the three seconds it’ll take you to turn to dust, I think you’ll find the mistake was touching my stuff.
Buffy (Season 4 Episode 1: The Freshman)
- Testosterone is a great equalizer. It turns all men into morons.
Giles (Season 1 Episode 6: The Pack)
- Tact is just not saying true stuff. I’ll pass.
Cordelia (Season 2 Episode 18: Killed by Death)
- I always find a way. I am the thing that monsters have nightmares about. And right now you and me are gonna show ’em why.
Buffy (Season 7 Episode 11: Showtime)
- This is the burden we bear, brother. We have a gig that would inevitably cause any girl living to think we are cool upon cool. Yet, we must Clark Kent our way through the dating scene, never to use our unfair advantage. Thank God we’re pretty.
Forrest (Season 4 Episode 10: Hush)
- This is just too much. I mean, yesterday my life’s like, “Uh-oh, pop quiz.” Today, it’s “rain of toads.”
Xander (Season 1 Episode 2: The Harvest)
- You may not be wanted, but you will be needed.
Giles (Season 7 Episode 2: Beneath You)
- Well, I’m not exactly quaking in my stylish yet affordable boots, but there’s definitely something unnatural going on here. And that doesn’t usually lead to hugs and puppies.
Buffy (Season 6 Episode 7: Once More, with Feeling)
- In the end, you’re always by yourself. You’re all you’ve got. That’s the point.
Whistler (Season 2 Episode 22: Becoming Part 2)
- I came over here to tell Buffy to stop this craziness and found you all unconscious – again. How many times have you been knocked out, anyway? I swear, one of these times you’re gonna wake up in a coma.
Cordelia (Season 3 Episode 11: Gingerbread)
- Xander, don’t speak Latin in front of the books.
Giles (Season 4 Episode 17: Superstar)
- Cordelia, your mouth is open, sound is coming from it, this is never good.
Buffy (Season 2 Episode 1: When She Was Bad)
- There are things I will not tolerate: students loitering on campus after school, horrible murders with hearts being removed, and also smoking.
Principal Snyder (Season 1 Episode 9: The Puppet Show)
- Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat. I smell Captain Fear at the wheel.
Anya (Season 6 Episode 4: Flooded)
- Glory. You’re not the brightest god in the heavens, are you?
Buffy (Season 5 Episode 22: The Gift)
- Sorry to barge in. I’m afraid we have a slight apocalypse.
Giles (Season 7 Episode 10: Bring on the Night)