Eirtakon is Ireland’s largest anime convention, is returning for three days to Croke Park on the 4th– 6th of November to celebrate its’ 12th year. Organised by the Anime and Manga Society of DCU, Eirtakon brings together the world of anime, manga and Japanese culture to Dublin. Eirtakon will open on 4th of November; Weekend tickets are €35 and day tickets are €25. www.Eirtakon.com.
People from all over Ireland will come together for a weekend to celebrate anime, manga and Japanese culture. This year you can meet international cosplay and anime guests, listen to cultural panels, take part in cosplay and gaming workshops, play your favourite board games or compete in the huge range of console tournaments. During the convention you will also have the opportunity to watch dozens of hours of anime screenings, watch or participate in the Cosplay Blind Date, and shop till you drop in the biggest artists alley and traders hall ever seen at an Irish convention.
Some of the larger highlights for the weekend include:
- The guests of honour this year are voice actors Luci Christian from Texas, is best known for voicing Nami in One Piece and Rico in Gunslinger Girl and John Swasey also from Texas has voiced Salvador in Borderlands 2 , Sgt Hauser in Halo and Sir Crocodile in One Piece.
- Meet award winning- game designers, John Romero, video game director, designer, programmer and creator of DOOM and Brenda Romero, game designer and artist who has contributed such titles as Ghost Recon and Dungeons & Dragons.
- Great at sewing and love making costumes? Well Eirtakon is hosting the Irish qualifiers for the annual EuroCosplay Competition where the winner of the qualifier will be one of Ireland’s two representatives at the London MCM Comic Con in October 2017.
- Enjoy some tea and cake at the Mad Hatters Tea Party (This event is for children 12 and under).
- For the very first time Eirtakon is hosting International Worbla Awards! A brand new competition and a fashion show, not only for cosplayers but also for all costume or prop makers!
- Finally, as well as traditional gaming, table-top gaming such as Warhammer 40k and modern console gaming, Eirtakon is hosting a League of Legends Tournament.
Director of Eirtakon, Cillian Lambe a Computer Applications student in DCU says: “Eirtakon is a convention that just gets better as the years go by and I am delighted to be involved in such a large and growing event. It is the perfect place for those who are interested in anime, manga or gaming with a gaming area, anime showings, panels, a trade hall and much more. As there will be plenty of activities and brilliant international guests and cosplayers lined up, I feel that this is year going to be a wonderful weekend for everyone to enjoy.”
Suzanne O’Reilly, Fundraising Coordinator from Jigsaw commented on the event: ‘We are delighted to once again partner with Eirtakon at this year’s three day Anime event. Since Jigsaw first opened it’s doors, we have helped over 16,000 young people achieve better mental health. Thanks to the ongoing support of events like Eirtakon, we can continue to raise much needed awareness of youth mental health as well as vital funds to support even more young people have somewhere to turn to and someone to talk to when they need it’.
Eirtakon will open at Croke Park on Friday the 4th of November at 4pm and Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th of November will be open from 10am. Tickets cost €35 weekend and €25 day. Tickets will be available on the door or they can be bought online at: www.Eirtakon.com.