I have spent the week watching Vicious. Vicious tells the story of ageing partners Freddie and Stuart, two men who have lived together in their Covent Garden flat for nearly 50 years. Freddie was a budding actor and Stuart worked in a bar when they first met, but their careers are pretty much over and their lives now consist of entertaining their frequent guests, making sure that their aged dog Balthazar is still breathing, and hurling constant insults at each other.
- Ian McKellen as Freddie Thornhill – An over-the-hill actor whose career consisted mainly of bit parts. Although his career never really took off, he insists on behaving as if it did and still does.
- Derek Jacobi as Stuart Bixby – A former bar manager with an aged mother named Mildred who (until the last episode of series 1) was clueless as to her son’s relationship with Freddie.
- Frances de la Tour as Violet Crosby – A close friend of Freddie and Stuart, who has desires for Ash, their young, handsome neighbour.
- Iwan Rheon as Ash Weston – Freddie and Stuart’s handsome but heterosexual 22-year-old new neighbour who is befriended by them after he moves into the flat upstairs.
- Marcia Warren as Penelope – A dotty old friend of Freddie and Stuart with a short attention span.
- Philip Voss as Mason – Another elderly friend of Freddie and Stuart, though often as sharp-tongued as they are
This is a wonderful series and it had me in hysterics. McKellen and Jacobi are two of my favorite actors so I had to see this. They have such great comedic timing its just wonderful and fun to watch.