The Oscars are coming up again and there are so many questions floating around.
Will there be a Best Actress category next year? Will a foreign picture have a chance at best Picture? How will they pull off the ceremony with all of Covid Restrictions?
Frankly none of that really matters to me because in recent years I have began to indulge myself and started to bet on the Oscars. I know this may sound stupid, but as much as I love Rugby and have been known to watch a game of Football none of these are where my expertise really lies. I am a self-professed cinephile, I love movies, I can quote them, tell you the minuscule production details, hum their music, I even make my own little shorts. I just love movies, so in recent times when the Oscars come out, I like to make a little bet, if I win, I give a little bit to charity and keep the rest. If I lose, I just move on with my life.
Now if you are wondering about what you bet on, well it is pretty self-explanatory. Best Picture, Best actor. That sort of thing.
Take Best Picture:
- The Father – David Parfitt, Jean-Louis Livi, and Philippe Carcassonne
- Judas and the Black Messiah – Shaka King, Charles D. King, and Ryan Coogler
- Mank – Ceán Chaffin, Eric Roth, and Douglas Urbanski
- Minari – Christina Oh
- Nomadland – Frances McDormand, Peter Spears, Mollye Asher, Dan Janvey, and Chloé Zhao
- Promising Young Woman – Ben Browning, Ashley Fox, Emerald Fennell, and Josey McNamara
- Sound of Metal – Bert Hamelinick and Sacha Ben Harroche
- The Trial of the Chicago 7 – Marc Platt and Stuart Besser
Though I would love Minari or The Trial of the Chicago Seven we all know that it is going to be Nomadland. (It is a film at the Oscars that stars Frances McDormand – of course it will win)
As for Best Actor:
- Riz Ahmed – Sound of Metal as Ruben Stone
- Chadwick Boseman – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom as Levee Green (posthumous nominee)
- Anthony Hopkins – The Father as Anthony
- Gary Oldman – Mank as Herman J. Mankiewicz
- Steven Yeun – Minari as Jacob Yi
I would love to see Steven Yeun win this one, yes, I really loved Minari and all the actors in here are incredibly talented we all know that Chadwick will win this round.
Best Actress is another category where the winner will be an easy pick.
- Viola Davis – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom as Ma Rainey
- Andra Day – The United States vs. Billie Holiday as Billie Holiday
- Vanessa Kirby – Pieces of a Woman as Martha Weiss
- Frances McDormand – Nomadland as Fern
- Carey Mulligan – Promising Young Woman as Cassandra “Cassie” Thomas
Here it seems that Carey Mulligan will win it for Promising Young Women.
And there are 23 categories that you could bet on. Though if you are looking to make a few bets, and come on its 2021 live a little, you will need to take a few things into consideration.
Such as have there been any recent deaths?
What are the hot topics that everyone is talking about?
Has anyone nominated already won an award?
Has anyone nominated repeatedly missed out on awards? (Look at Leonardo Dicaprio and Sean Penn they got awards for films that where not their best but more like consolations for the times they missed out.)
What won last year?
You might as well back something that you love. I know Nomadland is going to win best picture but I am throwing my money behind Minari, because that is the one, I love. (Though looking at those odds maybe my predictions are wrong).
So make a quick bet, put on some nice clothes, or some comfy ones and grab the Champagne because its Oscar time.